Video ads have changed the game in how consumers see advertising. Advertising is something that all of us see on a daily basis as we are given so many messages about what we should think, buy, and do through advertising.
7 elements of a successful video ad
1. Gets the message across: A good video ad will get your client’s message across in a way that is compelling and interactive. As an animator, your job is to ensure that your client is happy while maintaining the integrity of the message. Taking into account that consumers are mobbed with messages every day, this means that the message has to be focused and clear which is why successful video ads know what they are trying to say.
2. Includes innovation: Video advertising is a blank canvas for animators and clients to show consumers how they can add fresh new ideas to the promotion of a product or services. Video is the perfect medium for innovation because the technology behind video is always changing.
3. Uses celebrity in the right way: Who can forget the Chrysler Super Bowl advertisement that featured Eminem? This was one of the most talked about video ads in the history of the Super Bowl and it has been watched countless times. What this video ad did right was that it used celebrity in a way that completely made sense to the viewer. Eminem was born and raised in Detroit which is known for its association in the manufacturing of cars from brands such as Chrysler. Chrysler approached Eminem and used the instrumental to his song, Lose Yourself, from his critically acclaimed film 8 Mile in the advertisement. This video ad struck a chord because everyone watching it could see it meant what it was trying to convey that Detroit was open for business and consumers should buy American cars instead of foreign ones.
4. It goes viral: Every video animator wants their videos to go viral. In video advertising, it is crucial for it to go viral to ensure the complete success of the project because this means that it will be seen by more people. One of the key elements of a viral video is the fact that it feels natural and it is not trying to be viral. It has been successful organically which is why animators should just focus on making high quality videos and seeing whether the public responds well to them or not.
5. Causes controversy: A drop of controversy here and there never hurt anyone, and controversy sure helps with increasing YouTube page views and the number of people who tune in to watch a TV ad. It seems trite to even suggest it but controversy really does sell because viewers want to watch something which they are told is wrong or bad for them regardless what it is about.
6. Uses humor: Some laughter, jokes and fun goes a long way in the duration of a video ad. Humor is an excellent way for animators to ensure that the attention of the viewer is focused on the ad instead of losing interest. The thing to watch out for humor in video ads is to make sure that the humor is funny without being offensive or off putting to people who are watching the video ad.
7. Get people moving: One of the most memorable video ads in recent memory was the Volkswagen Golf advertisement that featured a segment from Singing in the Rain with a modern dancer superimposed as if it was Gene Kelly himself dancing. Though the advertisement was promoting a new car from Volkswagen, the ad from start to finish inspired people to get up and dance. Any ad that can change how a person thinks about a certain thing such as dancing becomes successful in that moment.
Being brief: Brevity is the most important word in video advertising. All video ads should be brief so that viewers do not lose interest. The shorter the advert, the higher chance it has for being watched. Always keep this in mind when you are preparing for your next video ad.
Leoni Dizon is an advertisement specialist working for Flikli Animated Productions and now writes about how to create attractive business explainer videos, educational and instructional videos, and screencasts that brings concepts to life in a simple way.